6 Things to look for potential hail damage to your roof
In 2017, Nebraska was ranked as one of the top states for hail claims. So it may come as no surprise that hail storms and roofing services go hand in hand when talking about roofing damage in Nebraska. Even a minor hail storm can cause damage to roof shingles and other roof elements like your gutters and vent hoods.
Following a severe storm, a top concern for many homeowners’ is whether the storm may have caused roof damage that would result in leakage. Unfortunately, roof damage isn’t always easily identified. This is because sometimes the effects of hail damage is not immediately seen by the homeowner. You see, even if your roof survived the severe weather without resulting in roof leaks, there may still be significant hail damage. And sometimes it can take up to a year for problems like water damage to show up as leaks in your ceilings or walls! This is why it’s extremely important to contact an experienced roofer to inspect your roof for any hail damage.
Following a storm, you should always inspect your property.
- If you find roofing material on the ground around your property, that’s a strong indication that you may need a new roof.
- Asphalt granules in your gutters is quite possibly one of the biggest signs of hail damage. When hail knocks loose the asphalt in your shingles, it usually ends up in your gutters.
- Walk around your property. If you find any hail damage around your home, you can be assured that your roof was also damaged. Check window glazing, siding, your air conditioning units, the down spouts of your gutters, and some of the soft metal on your roof. If you see this kind of damage around your property, you can bet that you’re going to have that kind of damage on your roof. Although you’re not going to be able to see it from the ground. Contact a qualified roofing contractor to come out and inspect your roof.
Your roofing contractor will check for the following damage to your roof:
- Any small dents or divots in your shingles. Although the dents may look pretty harmless, over time, rain, snow, and wind will brush off the loosened granules in your shingles and expose the asphalt in your shingles. The exposed asphalt causes the shingles to deteriorate at a much faster rate than normal and the divot will increase in size resulting in roof leaks a year or two after the initial hail damage.
- Any bruising on your homes shingles. Sometimes dents from hail are not completely visible. An experienced roofer will run their hand over the shingle, raise the shingle and feel underneath it, to see if the dent feels like any soft spot, kind of like the skin of an apple. If the roofing contractor finds that it does, then the hail has left behind permanent damage that needs to be addressed immediately.
- Large hail can make a circular crack in the shingles if it hits the roof hard enough.
Not sure if you have hail damage? Contact a professional, experienced and local roofing contractor to have your roof inspected right away. You want to make sure to keep your home safe and dry for years to come.
Not sure who to call? With over 30 years of experience, Arroyo Roofing stands out as a reliable and trust worthy roofer in Lincoln , Nebraska and the surrounding areas including Omaha, Grand Island, Columbus, and Beatrice.
Our team stands ready to help stop leaks and repair damage fast! Call Arroyo Roofing at (402) 484-8140 today to receive a FREE roof inspection and consultation. Even if you’re not sure if your roof has any hail damage , our no-risk inspection will give you peace of mind.